backup

General questions about CMSimple
Evelien

backup

Post by Evelien » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:34 pm

Hi!

While I was experimenting with some scripts on my site, I got a safety problem. So I took one of the back-up files and uploaded it. Al went good, the site was running again. BUT... Since I've got a Dutch site with an English section, I discovered that only the Dutch part was saved in the back-up file. :( All the changes I made in the English section were gone and the standard CMStext could be read again. :(
Are there no back-ups made of the other language contents? If they are.. where can I find them? If not, can this be changed for the future?

Gr. Evelien

Tata

Re: backup

Post by Tata » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:45 pm

the other languages have their own cintent.html files in directories depending on the language. You should also upload the latest backups from e.g. [en] into [en] folder on the server.
CMSimple.sk
It's no shame to ask for an answer if all efforts failed.
But it's awful to ask without any effort to find the answer yourself.

Evelien

Post by Evelien » Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:30 am

I looked in the "en" folder, but there was only the content.php file. :( No back-ups were saved. Should I change some settings?

Connie

Post by Connie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:10 pm

Evelien,

it is not clear to me what you mean with backup.
Do you mean a backup which you made yourself (download all actual files from the server) or do you mean the generated files after editing content online?

When I check my second-language-folder, which is /en/content/ I see that there are backup-files of the english content.

So you might check out that the content folder in the language folder, like /en/content/, has the same rights as the original content-folder.

That will do the trick ;=) good luck
|---
Connie Müller-Gödecke, http://www.webdeerns.de

Evelien

Post by Evelien » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:19 pm

Hi Connie,

The last thing is what I ment: the automatic generated files after editing content online and logging out.

When I check my second-language-folder, (/en/content) there is only the content.htm file and no extra files with named after the back-up dates as in the /content folder.

Connie

Post by Connie » Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:37 pm

and you checked the permissions of the folder and the files within?

which cmsimple version are you running?
What kind of server, windows or unix?
|---
Connie Müller-Gödecke, http://www.webdeerns.de

Evelien

Post by Evelien » Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:28 pm

I think I found the problem... (CMSimple version 3.2 - June 20. 2008)

I didn't logged out in the English section. I just logged out in the main frame (dutch) and then closed my explorer. I didn't realize I also must log out in the English section. :oops: I did it today and suddenly there was a backup in the en/content :)

Maybe a suggestion for the next edition? ;)

harteg

Post by harteg » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:52 am

Maybe a suggestion for the next edition?
It is a problem, yes. When you run a multi language site, you need to logout from the one language version to create the backout, before you move to editing another language. On the other hand, it will not be clever to simply update all language content files, because maybe an important backup in one of the other language versions will be deleted before you notice an error ...

My recommendation is to only logout when you are finished making larger changes, and then always do it, when you finish one language version and move to another.